Ian Burson, right, was the pic of the locals on Friday night at the Milestone Homes Top of the South Speedway. File photo:Tom Laney/Imagepress.co.nz.

Rain victorious in absorbing Super Cup final


The Vertex Super Cup final round was washed out on Saturday night, after the climatic feature race on Friday evening changed the shape of the leader board at the Milestone Homes Top of the South Speedway.

An opening lap incident in the feature left series leader 2nz Richie Taylor parked on the infield watching his points buffer evaporate.

Nelson’s Ian Burson was confirmed as a runner after being lent the 3NZ of Shane McIntyre.

Ian’s current car has been sold and he was waiting on a new one for next season.

Ian was sitting in fourth going into the final weekend and was an outside chance to defend his title, but he too was caught up in the final feature race incident ending his challenge.

Ray Stewart from Cromwell took out the feature race win.

The points gained put him into the series lead while New Zealand champion Peter Dickson had his first peek at the track.

He was impressive despite a few brushes with the wall that scarpered his advance at times, but the points gained in the feature were enough to sneak into second overall.

Campbell McManaway was the most consistent driver of the night picking up second in the feature to win the round.

The wet weather was a silent victory for Stewart who would claim the Vertex Super Cup with racing abandoned for the final showdown.

The Nelson Automotive Solutions Stock Car Teams Brawl was poised for an interesting final round.

The Tasman Thunder were undefeated on the opening night picking up wins against the KB Indians and Greymouth Grizzlies.

The Indians beat the Grizzles comfortably in the other race to close within 35 points of the Thunder.

The key turning points in the Thunder-Indian race was the rolling of Indian blocker Harley Robb by John Everett.

Brad Neiman used his support cars as cover to take the victory, they then had a comfortable win over the Grizzlies, with Keightley Teece taking the win.

The Super Stocks raced best pairs, Josh Nell and Brett Nicholls took the win comfortably. The Youth Ministocks were competing in the Ray White Richmond Ministock Mania.

They were split into junior and senior driver groups and the title was decided on countback after Hamish Carter and Braydon Nell were locked on points after the first night.

With no more racing it was Hamish that had the better results to claim another trophy.

The Super Saloons will be back at Easter while the Stock Car Teams Brawl will be moved to a better time in the season to draw in a few more teams.