- The Golden Bay Rodders are celebrating their 40th Anniversary throughout the weekend and it’s going to be a jam-packed three days including meet and greets, a car trial around the town, lunches, dinner and dancing, a car display which is open to the general public at Sports Park Motueka (if fine) from 10am to 4pm on Sunday and another dinner plus a prize giving. For more information contact Barry Dowler on 027 270 5036.
- The King of the Forest Logging Weekend is on from 9am-4pm on Saturday and Sunday at Higgins Heritage Park with local and visiting teams compete on Saturday for a substantial prize pool, and Sunday continues displays of logging from days gone by.
- The Nelson VCC Veteran, Motorcycle & Commercial Rally is on this Saturday and Sunday. Saturday will kick into gear with a rally from the VCC Club Rooms at Nelson Speedway, running into the country and returning to Richmond in the mid afternoon. On Sunday second rally will travel to Motueka on the In Land Route to assemble at sports Park Motueka after an 8:30am breakfast at Club Waimea. For more information, phone 03 544 9998.
- Head to the Eyebright Country Store from 9am-5pm on Saturday or Sunday for the Garden Art Expo, Nelson’s biggest garden art event. All pieces locally made, and shown to best effect in the beautiful Eyebright Garden.Most pieces will be included in a silent auction and you can vote for your favourite wit cash prizes awarded for the ‘peoples choice’.
- See some of Nelson and Marlborough’s best rugby players switch gears to the sevens format with both men’s and women’s grades in action at the Motueka Sports Grounds on Saturday from 10am until 5pm.
- Pakistan are playing New Zealand A at the Saxton Oval from 11am on Saturday and Sunday.
- Stoke School PTA are proud to host the Nelson Truck Show for the 4th year running. With 75+ trucks to look at ranging from emergency vehicles, log trucks, b-trains and swingliftes the A & P Showgrounds will be truckie heaven from 10am – 3pm. Food and drinks will be available as well as the Blast Bouncy Castle, mini jeeps and zorb balls. Entry is $5 for adults $5, $2 for children, and $10 for a family.
- The New Zealand Cider Festival is at Founders Park this Saturday from 12pm. The festival is bringing Nelson a family day out celebrating the most versatile beverage on earth, with food, a kids family zone and music from headliner Greg Johnson. Tickets are available from Ticket Direct and more information can be found at www.nzciderfestival.com/
- Head to the Wakefield School Gala for a great family evening out on Saturday night at the school from 3pm-6.30pm. With fantastic local fare of Mutton or Wild Pork Sandwiches, Whitebait Patties and Real Fruit Icecreams, a Shooting Gallery, Inflatables, Face Painting, Haunted House, a Silent Auction, White Elephant and several other stalls.
- Nelson is hosting The Central Districts Closed Judo Competition this weekend at the Nelson Boys College Hall. If you’ve ever thought about taking a closer look at this exciting olympic sport or showing your kids, now is your time. Weigh in is at 8am with the competition starting around 9.15 am and running through to mid afternoon. Entry is free entry.
- Among the Roses is back again, a day out to sip, snack, relax and enjoy the beautiful roses, markets and music, in the Samuels Rose Garden at Broadgreen Historic House from 12-5pm. With the Nelson Youth Jazz Collective, La Vida, Nelson Jazz band, Melrose Café, Mahana Wine, Faerie Lou and Flossie’s face painting there’s plenty of entertainment.
- After a 20 year absence from National level football, Nelson is back with a Tasman United v Hawkes Bay United match from 2pm-4pm at Trafalgar Park. Entry is free so come along and support the team.