Former All Black winger Zac Guildford’s time as a Mako may be over before it’s begun.
nelsonlive.co.nz understands the 27-year-old, who signed a Tasman contract in April, may be a glaring omission from the Makos’ Mitre 10 Cup squad which will be announced on August 6.
The union’s chief executive Tony Lewis admitted to nelsonlive.co.nz he was unsure if the player would be included in the squad.
Guildford’s career has been plagued with off-field issues and the most recent setback forced him to leave the New South Wales Waratahs last month during the Super Rugby campaign “for wellbeing reasons”.
When asked if Guildford would play for the Makos this year, Tony Lewis told nelsonlive.co.nz today, “I don’t know”.
“We are in communication with Zac and it’s fair to say that he is evaluating everything in his life at this point,” he said.
Guildford quit French club Clemont Auvergne last year, halfway through a two year contract.
He was considered an important signing with Tasman’s wing stocks under injury clouds.
Both Viliami Lolohea and James Lowe have battled injuries during the Super Rugby campaign.