Workers discharged from hospital

0
961

The two workers that were rushed to hospital with chemical inhalation on Saturday have been discharged from hospital.

Nelson Marlborough Health’s Stephanie Gray confirmed today that the two patients involved were discharged after being seen.

The father-daughter pair were working in a cool store at the Snap Fresh Foods packaging plant in Stoke on Saturday afternoon when they were “overcome with the chemicals” according to Nelson senior fire officer, Craig Davies.

St John ambulances were called out around 2pm and were joined by police and fire units from Stoke and Nelson including a hazardous materials unit which located and worked to neutralise the chemical.

Craig says the pair inhaled chlorine-based chemicals and it took three hours for the two members of their hazardous materials unit to flush out the chemicals.

“We flushed the place out with water and ventilated it with positive pressure fans until we got it to a stage where it was of acceptable workplace standards.”

The surrounding buildings including the Rochdale apartments were all evacuated but residents were allowed to return later that afternoon.