This weekend hosts events for all ages including today’s Positive Aging Expo, Saturday’s GODZone race and Sunday’s Muddy Buddy and Steam Day. Unfortunately, the weather is not so keen to cooperate, for more on the heavy rain weather warning in place, click here.
- The Positive Aging Expo is on today from 10am – 3pm at the Headingly Centre. The 80th expo boasts over 70 stallholders as well as seminars, demonstrations and a chance to have a go at a range of activities, games, and quick health checks.
- Saint Paul’s School Harvest Gala is back with the ever popular chocolate wheel, books, toys, second-hand clothing and white elephant stalls, baking, sweet treats and food stalls. The Gala begins at 11am and runs until 2pm at the school. Celebrity Masterchef Richard Harris will host cooking tutorials and serve up treats while a sketch of the Beehive by John Key and a signed shirt by local All Whites striker, Jeremy Brockie, among other things go to auction. The kids will also be entertained with plenty of rides and games. For more information phone 027 626 6429 or click here to visit the website.
- The world’s largest expedition adventure race in the world kicks off from the Kaiteriteri waterfront on Saturday. The GODZone Adventure Race will see 70 teams from around the world navigate, mountain bike, kayak, white water, and mountain trek the seven-day race. For more information visit the website here, or phone 031 246 3342.
- Get on your retro frocks and bring your bike down to The Honest Lawyer in Monaco at 2pm on Saturday for the annual Retro Ride. The family-friendly event consists of a sociable loop of the off-road Great Taste and Railway Reserve bike paths as well as prizes for the best-dressed retro bike of any era, the Big Bike Tune Up, a Show & Shine of historic/retro bikes and a bouncy castle for the kids. For more information, email [email protected] or phone 021 02692724.
- Support our local volunteer soldiers from the New Zealand Army Reserve unit, 2-4 RNZIR and watch the resigning of the 171-year-old charter. The Battalion will march up Trafalgar St from the Nelson City Council chambers to the Church Steps at 1pm with drums beating, the New Zealand Army Band playing, colours flying, swords drawn and bayonets fixed.
- The Car Company Nelson Bays Division 1 matches are all on at 3pm this Saturday. Kahurangi are set to vs Nelson at the Motueka Sports Park while the Waimea Old Boys take on the Wanderers at Jubilee Park and Marist clash with Stoke on the Tahunanui Sports Feild.
- Women from across the region will be up bright and early on Sunday morning for the McFadden McMeeken Phillips Lawyers Nelson Women’s Triathlon 2016. The race begins at 8am from the Maitai Valley and consists of a 5km run or an alternate 3km walk, 13km cycle and a 133-yard swim. Click here for tickets or for more information, email [email protected] or phone 03 548 3655.
- Rain or shine, the Sport Tasman Muddy Buddy is on. For a roll in the mud and plenty of fun dress up and head to Tasman School to compete in a one, two or three lap race. Enter online at www.tasman.school.nz for $10 per person/ $35 per family or enter on the day for $15 per person/ $45 per family. For more information, phone 03 526 6818.
- Head to Higgins Heritage Park at Wakefield from 10am – 3pm for Steam Day. Peruse the Steam shed, Rural Life and Transport Museums, Harry Holmwood Shed, Jowett cars and speedway motorbike collection. Make a day of it and bring a picnic to eat while watching the sawmillers or grab a ride on the jigger or in the trailer behind the traction engine.