This weekend is looking promising in both weather and events with everything from Clifton Terrace’s Tea by the Sea to the annual Trolley Derby, the Tasman Bay Snapper Classic, barn dancing in Victory, the Tahuanui School Gala and a Bolder Bank walk.
Metservice is predicting fine weather today with a southeasterly developing in the afternoon and a high of 21°C. Saturday will be partly cloudy with light winds and a high of 17°C while Sunday is looking mainly fine with high cloud developing, light winds, and a high of 22°C.
- Tonight’s Clifton Terrace School fundraiser ‘Tea By The Sea’ will offer up food, drink, music, auctions, a giant water slide, obstacle course, bouncy castle, face painting and more. The fundraiser runs from 5 – 7.30 pm tonight at the school and is a zero waste event so anyone going is asked to bring a plate, cup and cutlery.
- Summer Tango in Nelson will see dancers from across the country come to Nelson for a weekend of Tango. For a night of fun, social Argentine Tango head to The PlayHouse Theatre & Cafe tonight from 7 pm until late, entry is $5 for non-dancers. Or bring a picnic and some sunblock to Queens Gardens on Saturday and watch or join in from midday to 4 pm.
- Head to the top of Collingwood St to see some speed, kiwi ingenuity and potential carnage at the Mike Pero Trolley Derby. Cheer on your favourites and watch homemade trolley’s whizz by from 10 am – 4 pm. For more information, Click here.
- The Kaiteriteri Gold Half Marathon & 10km kicks off from the Kaiteriteri beachfront at 8.15 am on Saturday. The course will wind along the coastline and up Sandy Bay Hill before returning to Kaiteriteri. For more information, contact [email protected] or call 03 5483655.
- The teen with a London dream is holding a fundraiser concert from 7 pm at the Nelson Musical Theatre on Atawhai Drive. Jake Robinson’s Fundraiser Concert “With a little Help from my Friends” features over 20 numbers made up of Solo’s, Duets, and performances by the talented performer and local groups such as Nelson Youth Theatre, Trudy Fargher Dance, and A Star Academy. Tickets can be purchased for $20 + a booking fee from iticket.co.nz or on the door.
- The much anticipated 2016 Tasman Bay Snapper Classic is on! The one-day teams fishing competition in Tasman Bay has massive prizes up for grabs including a DNA Boat and Honda Marine 4 stroke engine. Fishing starts from 5 am, with a weigh in at the Speights Ale House from 12 – 4 pm, a public fish auction between 5 and 6 pm, a prize giving at 6 pm and a live band from 8.30pm until late. Auction proceeds will go to Coastguard Nelson. For more information, head to www.tasmanbaysnapperclassic.co.nz/ or call Troy Dando on 027 312 2911.
- Bring a plate of supper along to the Victory Community Centre and get on your dancing shoes for the Victory Barndance. The night runs from 7.30 pm to 10.30 pm with live music from The Celts. Tickets are available at the door for $10 per adult, $5 per child and $20 per family, no experience is required.
- Bring your togs and a change of clothes to Tahunanui School’s annual gala on Sunday at the school from 11 am – 2.30 pm. The gala will be a fun family day out with a massive 30m downhill water slide, plate smashing, face painting, hot rod cars, water walkers, bouncy castles, rides and the usual combination of stalls, raffles and The Great Art and Leisure Silent Auction.
- For a ride in the double decker bus and a stroll down the boulder bank, check out the Knapps Lawyers Boulder Bank Walk. The 8 km walk will feature open baches, a historic display at the lighthouse, a bbq, speakers and a boat shuttle back to Wakefield Quay. Buses will leave from Wakefield Quay (by Guytons fish shop) at 8.15 am, 9 am, and 9.45 am, with the walk expected to take up to three hours. For more information on the day and where to purchase tickets head to nelsonwestrotary.org.nz or call 027 2390866.
For more events and information, head to www.itson.co.nz