While the cathedral is Nelson’s church on the hill, Holy Trinity Church is Richmond’s.
The town’s first Anglican church was constructed in the 1850s but twenty years later, the building was already too small.
Today’s Anglican church has stood proudly on the hill since 1872.
Designed by local architect William Beatson, the gothic style building is a common example of early architecture amongst New Zealand churches.
The church served as a focal point within the community and services were vastly popular.
So much so, that by 1984 the church had once more outgrown the building.
That year, after much debate the church was extended rather than demolished or relocated.
The extensions can be seen in the up-to-date photo of the church.