Weather stalls Snapper Classic


The Tasman Bay Snapper Classic has been postponed until March 12.

Organiser Troy Dando has decided to err on the side of caution once more, postponing the Tasman Bay Snapper Classic in consideration of the safety of the vast range of boats entered.

“I have been watching the weather again all week and have enlisted help from as far away as Perth to try and make a call on this weekend’s fishing competition,” says Troy.

“The weather is just too changeable at present to hold the event this weekend which could jeopardise people’s safety, something I will not compromise on.”

Troy says the forecast has been switching between excellent, glassy calm to no-so-flash every six hours. And while the very top end of the bay around Rabbit Island should be fine for part of Saturday morning, Adele Island and Delaware Bay have predicted winds from 20 knots and rising and rain is expected Sunday evening.

“I know it’s very frustrating for some people and I apologise to those travelling but as I said last week, we want to have a wicked day and don’t want people potentially rolling around out there not enjoying themselves.”

Registrations will be left open until March 10 for teams who haven’t yet entered, team member changes must also be submitted before this date.

Once more, entrants that cannot make the new date will receive refunds unless they want to donate it to Coastguard.