The beautiful summer heat brings out the sunscreen, togs and ice-cream but with it, the inevitable return of ants, cockroaches, rats and flies.
Nelson’s pests love the summer heat but we do not love them so much but OCS pest control manager, Robert Gattsche has some DIY tips for dealing with these unwanted guests.
“Summer is peak time for pests, but there are precautions you can take to prevent pests from having a summer party at your workplace,” says Robert.
- Wipe down all residues on tables and benches with a hot cloth to avoid attracting ants.
- Keep cockroaches at bay with an insect spray or an auto spray.
- Remove all food scraps to discourage ants, rats and spiders.
- Use snap traps or bait to remove rats.
- Keep the air conditioning on as flies and mosquitos are attracted to heat.
- Remove any spider webs and birds nests. If you find a wasp nest, get it removed as soon as possible as wasps get more aggressive towards the end of summer.
- Vacuum frequently and use a hot wash on the carpet to keep away any fleas.