Although the Nelson Train Line is long gone there is still plenty of evidence it was once a prominent part of Nelson city.
Drag the slider to compare the photos.
Construction of the Nelson railway line began in 1873 and continued gradually from the city to Gowanbridge. The track followed through the Bishopdale hills instead of around the port which was more favorable by the public.
With the rapid development of roading in the region in the 1920s passenger services were reduced. A “Use it or lose it” approach was enforced from 1931 as the line became under constant threat of closure.
In 1955 the last timetabled train arrived in Nelson and was met with protest to the line closure. The last piece of railway track was lifted in 1956.
The image above was taken looking down St Vincent St. The patch of grass on the right is now part of the Victory Community Centre with the train traveling through what is now the Railway Reserve.