Sleepout fire extinguished by residents

0
870

A fire has burnt out a sleepout at a lower Parkers Road residence tonight.

Adventure tourism student, Tyler Isherwood, was staying in the sleepout along with three other adults in the house who have two kids and a baby.

He says the fire has destroyed everything he had in the sleepout.

“I’ve just started my course and I had a couple of hundred dollars worth of course gear in that sleepout.”

He says the residents were able to put the fire out before fire appliances arrived.

“We got the hoses onto it and we found a fire extinguisher.”

Acting station manager, Paul Marshall, says the fire seems to have started with a battery charger

“Those battery chargers need to be watched.”

He says it’s really important for people to have working smoke alarms installed.