Fight 4 Victory organisers Barry Galbraith, left, and Paul Hampton, outside the new home for the Fight 4 Victory, Saxton Stadium. Photo: Andrew Board.

Fight 4 Victory is back

0
1635

It’s the event that saw local business people, cops, sportsmen and even the mayor get punched in the head and after a one year hiatus, the Fight 4 Victory is back.

The charity boxing event will be held on April 4 next year at Saxton Stadium, announced organisers this week.

It will again see local personalities thrown in the ring for three rounds of boxing, with 12 weeks of training behind them and a noisy crowd cheering them on.

All money raised will once again go to Victory Boxing.

Programme director at Victory Boxing, Paul Hampton, says the news is huge for the club and will not only provide needed funds to the gym but also provide a great night of entertainment for Nelsonians.

“It will be as big as last time. We’re looking at between eight and ten fights and we have 50 corporate tables to sell. Last time we sold all 50 and could have sold a lot more, so people will need to register quickly.”

He says they’re still working on a fight card but is keen to hear expressions of interest from people in the community.

“Anyone keen to be involved should get in touch and also anyone who’d like to reserve a corporate table.”

In 2013, the Fight 4 Victory was a huge success, raising more than $50,000 for the Victory Boxing Charitable Trust, helping it get established in its own building and create a programme for hundreds of children and teenagers.

But with the Trafalgar Centre closed due to earthquake strength issues, the event was left without a home in 2014, leaving a big hole in the fundraising plans for the club.

The move to Saxton Stadium coincides with the Nelson Giants basketball season so the temporary seating will be in place.

Organiser Barry Galbraith says the response to last year’s event had a lasting impression and he’s confident the 2015 version will be just as successful.

“For the 26 people who took part last time, it was life changing. They all lost a lot of weight and got fitter than they probably had been before and a lot spoke about more confident at work and just in life,” he says.

“I’ve had wives coming up to me saying my husband is a better person because of this, that’s just awesome.”

The first Fight 4 Victory event included police officer Rob Crawford, businessmen Chris Bowater, Scott Gibbons and Andrew Marriot, then-mayor Aldo Miccio and Nelson Tasman Tourism’s Loren Heaphy, also of The Block NZ fame, as well as local sporting stars and other businesspeople.

For more information on being involved on the night, or to reserve your corporate table, email Paul on [email protected] or Barry on [email protected] If you’d like to be considered for a bout, please include your age and weight.