- The Top of the South Film Festival brings together the best and most promising filmmakers from Nelson, Marlborough, Golden Bay and the top of the South Island region. Screening at the Suter Cinema from 7.30pm – 10pm, tickets are $15 from TicketDirect and all proceeds go back into the local film community.
- The Birchwood School Twilight Gala is on tonight from 5pm-8pm at the school, celebrating 40 years of schooling with yummy food, games, competitions including ‘best cake decorated by Dad’, cake stalls, jeeps, plants, zorb balls, bouncy castles, raffles and more. Entry is free and eftpos will be available.
- Melrose House Society brings you the ‘Craft Beer & Food Tour’ from 6:30pm to 8:30pm tonight, enjoy 8 craft beer tastings, specially selected to pair with 6 delicious food offerings from the fabulous Melrose House Cafe, from chicken tacos and lamb skewers to pulled pork sliders! Ticket includes all 14 tastings of craft beer and food and are available from EventBrite.
- New Zealand’s 16th National Classic Motorcycle Rally is on this weekend. Saturday’s ride begins at 9.30am from Bethany Park, Kaiteriteri. Visitors can view the motorcycles from Kaiteriteri Beach between 9.30 and 10.30am as they ride over to Takaka on the long ride or up the Motueka Valley and back to Motueka on the short ride.
- The iconic Nelson A&P Show is back for 2016 at the Richmond Park Showgrounds from 9.30am-5pm on Saturday and 9.30am-4pm on Sunday. Featuring a carnival, food court, Strongman competition, equestrian events, dog trials, shearing, wood chopping, animal barn, and numerous stalls, exhibits and judging, you won’t get bored. Entry is $15 per adult, $25 per family and $5 per child (5-16 years), cash only.
- See massive trucks pulled, gigantic boulders shifted, cars flipped, and tree trunks carried at the Vortex Spas Strongman Challenge 2016 from 10am-5pm on Saturday and Sunday at the Nelson A&P Show. Bring your family, bring your kids, bring your friends & witness athletes battle for the title of ‘South-Island Strongest Man 2016 & New Zealand’s Strongest Women 2016’
- Are you up for a challenge? The Nelson Mountain Bike Club’s Mammoth Enduro is an epic two-day mountain biking enduro on natural, technical Nelson trails. The trails to be raced on will be grade 4-5 and there will be three to four stages each day. There may be some shuttle uplifts depending on the final trails used and there may be some peddling. Click here for all the information from the website.
- Enjoy an evening of Christmas cheer and live music at Mahana’s Christmas Gala, from 6pm till late in the Mahana Cellars, 243 Old Coach Road. Drinks and canapés will be served on arrival followed by an exquisite three course Christmas dinner and live auction. Tickets are $140 per person and are available from 03 543 2817 ext 5. Click here for more information.
- The Nelson Male Voice Choir will be filling the Motueka Memorial Hall with Christmas themed songs and some old favourites in their show ‘A Merry Little Christmas’. Conductor Andrea Hamilton, with pianists Pauline Boyd and Susan Stokes will lead the 30+ choir from 2pm, door entry is $15 per adult or $5 per under 18, cash only.
- The Nelson Health & Wellness Expo will be filling Trafalgar Hall from 10am-5pm on Sunday. Come along for a day of sampling at stalls, listen to talks, purchase products, take part in a free yoga class at 10am and meet people in the health and wellness field who can help you with looking after your future health. Tickets are available from the door for $5 per adult, children are free.