There’s a lot going on within the region this weekend, with the welcome home of Paralympian Liam Malone, the iconic Able Tasman Coastal Classic, a bit of fundraising karaoke and new councils being elected.
- Bring the kids to Founders these holidays to become a Founder’s Fire Fighter and help celebrate Nelson Fire Services 150th anniversary. Try on the old firemen’s uniforms, test your fire safety knowledge and learn about Nelson’s fire stories. This free activity is on today from 10am to 4.30pm at Founders Heritage Park and will be on each day until Sunday.
- Calling all kings and queens to the rosy house of Broadgreen! Spring Kings, Summer Queens is a free, garden inspired treasure hunt at Broadgreen Historic House on Nayland Rd, running every day of the school holidays. The treasure hunt is open from 10.30am to 4.30pm Friday through to Sunday 9th October. The hunt is free to locals and under 5-year-olds, adult and senior visitors are $5 while visiting students between 5 and 17 years are $1.
- Explore Nelson Tasman walkway’s and reserves for free with the Sport Tasman Spring Explorer! This event runs until November 30 and is family friendly, with clues prizes to win. There are 13 different walks to choose from, register online to receive all information and quiz sheets. For more information, contact Sport Tasman on 03 546 7910.
- Head to the Nelson Golf Club carpark at 6am on Saturday wearing something yellow for the Sunrise Walk For Wellbeing. The 6km Nelson airport perimeter walk beginning in the dark and ending with the sunrise aims to destigmatise depression and promote mental wellbeing. The walk will be followed by light refreshments, music by Bryce Wastney and a few words from a Nelsonian on his own journey through depression. There will be mental health help and advice available after the walk. Bring along a donation/koha to go to Supporting Families in Mental Illness Nelson. Click here to register.
- The Biker’s Brunch is on this Saturday, 9.30am to 12 noon at Annesbrook Community Church. Turn up, talk riding, try the obstacle course and receive a free bacon butty and coffee as well as being in for a chance to win free riding gear and a training course. All riders on all types of bikes and of all ages are encouraged to turn up for this motorcycle morning.
- Come and celebrate the success of Nelson’s triple Paralympic medallist, Liam Malone. Head to the Cathedral steps from 12 noon until 1pm as Liam is presented with the ceremonial “Key to the City”. Show your support with other Nelsonians, and take the chance for an autograph or photo.
- With sea, sky and sand the iconic Able Tasman Coastal Classic is back for 2016. New Zealand’s premier trail run on The Abel Tasman Coast Track has limited entry, is based from Marahau and runs all day. Additional information and tickets are available from www.nelsonevents.co.nz/
- The Sirens play against Hellmilton Roller Ghouls’ travelling team, Raggedy Angst from 7pm with the doors of the Nelson Skate Rink opening at 6pm. Come along for a night of fast hard-hitting roller derby action, food is available and an R18 bar will also be open. Tickets are available at the door, $ per adult, $2 per child or $10 per family.
- A fundraising Karaoke evening for the Upper Moutere and Mahana Schools is set to entertain on Saturday night. Come down to the The Moutere Inn from 7pm, entry is $10 at the door.
- Antipodes, a leading Australasian jazz band are preforming a concert at Fairfield House from 8pm tomorrow. After the concert members of Antipodes will host late-night jazz jam session, so bring your axe for an opportunity to play with these incredible musicians. Tickets are $15 per adult and $10 per student and are available from 03 5483640.
- The annual Nelson Parent and Child Expo is returning for it’s sixth year. From Pregnancy and Birth, Baby to Child, Parenting, Services, Supports – the expo has you covered with education, information, services and experts on hand. The expo will fill the Nelson college Hall from 10am to 4pm. Tickets available now on 03 5466360 or at the door for $5 with under 15’s accompanied by adults entering for free.
- Theatre Royal present ‘Beatlemania on Tour’ at 7pm on Sunday. Employing authentic “Beatle” instruments, amplifiers and costumes, coupled with faithful renditions of your favourite Beatle classics “The Beatles Experience” recreates the spirit of the “Fab Four” in ways that have audiences raving about them “Eight days a week”. Tickets are available from Theatre Royal and TicketDirect ph. 03 548 3840.