Did you notice a new recycling bin outside your house this morning?
Just under 20,000 new recycling wheelie bins are being rolled out to Nelson residential properties over the next three weeks.
The bins will be for plastics, cans, paper and cardboard recycling but they won’t be collected straight away.
The new wheelie bin collection will start from October 17.
Residents can begin filling their bins but can not put them out for collection until the new recycling trucks hit the road on October 17.
Everyone is asked to continue with their usual recycling regime in the meantime.
The change to recycling wheelie bins will increase the amount people are able to recycle and having a lid means the paper and cardboard will stay dry and not get blown around the neighbourhood.
From October 17 there will be some important changes to the recycling collection to be aware of. These include:
- Recycling collection moves to fortnightly.
- The wheelie bin is for plastics, cans, paper and cardboard.
- Glass still goes out in the existing blue crates.
- Both glass in crates and mixed recycling in wheelie bins will be collected on the same day.
- Most residents’ collection day will change and will be in the first or second week of the collection cycle (as indicated on the sticker on their bin).
- A recycling calendar showing Week 1 and Week 2 is also delivered with the new bin.
Residents are asked to read the information brochure that is attached to the new recycling wheelie bin for more details so they are ready for the changes starting from October 17.