It’s a busy weekend event-wise for the region with everything from the Warriors, mountain biking, Black Sabbath, dancing, the Murchison Country Market and the Brightwater Wine & Food Festival.
The weather is looking beautiful for the weekend with not a shower in sight. Today, Metservice have forecasted a high of 22 today with northerly breezes. Saturday is expected to be fine with southwest winds changing to northerlies for a time in the afternoon and a high of 25. Meanwhile, Sunday will be fine with southwest winds dying out and a high of 24.
The 2016 Tasman Bay Snapper Classic that was due to hit the seas on Saturday has been postponed one week. For more information, phone Troy Dando on 027 312 2911 or head to www.tasmanbaysnapperclassic.co.nz
- Crusaders v. Hurricanes: for an evening of pre-season rugby, drive over to Blenheim’s Lansdowne Park. The curtain raiser starts at 2.30pm and the main match kicks off at 4.30pm. Tickets can be brought from Floorpride Civic Theatre, i-site Blenheim, i-site Picton, i-site Nelson, the Richmond Mall, NBS branches or online at tickets.makos.co.nz/tour/view/817
- Free Nelson Parks Programme: head to Victory Square for an hour of guided group dance from 10 – 11 am. For more information, call Crystal on 03 5439755.
- Santa Cruz Coppermine: the 10th anniversary of the two-course mountain bike races. The races will run from 9.00 am – 4.00 pm at Maitai Valley Road, Nelson. For more info contact firstname.lastname@example.org or head to www.nelsonmtb.club
- Theatre Open Day: the Theatre Royal are throwing open their curtains from 10 am – 2 pm to show the public whats involved in making a production come to life. For more information, call 03 548340.
- Big Play Out: check out the Tahunanui Sportsfield from 11 am – 2 pm for free children’s activities, food stalls, silent auction, music, story telling and play areas.
- HMNZS OTAGO – Open to Public: for a chance to check out one of the Royal New Zealand Navy’s two Offshore Patrol Vessels, head to the Lay Up Wharf No. 1, Vickerman Street, Port Nelson from 1 – 5 pm. The ship is on the way home after being at the sub-antarctic Auckland Islands and has never been in Nelson before. For more information, phone Cathy on 027 4368406 or email her at email@example.com
- Mike Pero Battle of Trafalgar: it’s finally here, the NRL Vodafone Warriors vs St. George pre-season clash. The Trafalgar Park gates open at 2 pm with a curtain raiser game at 3 pm, and the main event at 5 pm. Adult tickets are from $20 and kids are from $10 but they’re selling out so head to Ticketek or Beggs Music Works on Hardy Street quickly.
- Ceroc Summer Tea Dance: head on down to the St Joseph’s Hall, Manuka St from 7 – 9 pm, for a cuppa and a night of Ceroc modern jive, a funky partner dance danced to most types of music. Tickets are $6 at the door and people are encouraged to BYO plate of goodness. For more information, phone 027 237 6266.
- Black Sabbath Tribute: bring your finest Sabbath heads to Club Paradox from 9 pm for Pig’s of War’s Black Sabbath tribute. Door sales are $10 and for more information, phone 0277128172.
- Get Moving Family Bike Fun: mosey over to the Golden Bay Recreation Park from 10 am for a Bike Rogaine, bike demo’s, slow bike race, bike decoration comp, cycle skills course and Big Check and Tune Up. Call 03 543 8403 or head to www.get-moving.org.nz
- Murchison’s Country Market: from 10 am – 2 pm, enjoy buskers and browse the Local Craft and Growers market in the Historical Stables car park, 35 Fairfax St Murchison.
- Brightwater Wine & Food Festival: this must-attend festival is back again with sensational sounds, wine, food, and sunshine. The festival kicks off at 11 am and runs until 5 pm at Middle-Earth Vineyards. Early bird tickets are $15 from www.bwff.co.nz/ gate sales $20, and under 12yr Free.
- Commemorative Service: the loved ones of four Nelson families lost when HMS NEPTUNE was sunk on 18 December, 1941, will be honoured in an 11.30 am service at the NEPTUNE Memorial on Wakefield Quay. This was the greatest single loss in New Zealand naval history with the loss of all but one man, including all 150 New Zealanders on-board.
- Air Cadets Recruiting/Open Day: if you or someone you know is 13-15 and interested in the military, aviation, adventure, the outdoors, ceremonial, radios or leadership then come on down to Dakota St, Nelson Airport. Tours run at 1 pm, 2 pm and 3 pm on Sunday, and 7 pm on Monday. For more information, call 03 547 9294 or head to www.nelsonatc.co.nz
- Neptune Cup yacht race: members of HMNZS OTAGO’s complement participating in the race, organised by the Tasman Bay Cruising Club and Nelson Yacht Club at 2 pm.