Man hospitalised after chemical incident at school

0
207

A man was taken to Nelson Hospital after being overcome by fumes and roads were closed in central Richmond on Monday morning after a chemical incident at Richmond School.

Emergency services, including the HAZMAT team from Nelson, were called to the school on Cambridge St at around 9am after maintenance worker noticed strong chlorine fumes coming from the pool complex. Sections of Oxford and Cambridge streets were closed off by police who redirected traffic as the HAZMAT crew attended the incident

Richmond Volunteer Fire Brigade’s Senior station officer and incident controller Blair Hall says two crews from Richmond, two from Stoke and two from Richmond were called to the school.  He says a mix of chemicals used for treating the pool, including chlorine, became volatile overpowered the man.

Nelson Live understands the man’s condition is not serious.