Here are some of the many events on this weekend:
Today’s weather is expected to reach a high of 21 degrees with strong northerly winds. The chance drizzle predicted by Metservice appears to be holding off, but evening rain is expected from 6 pm.
- Nelson Sports Awards: hear olympic gold medalist and world champion rower, Eric Murray talk about his olympic experience and watch Jason Gunn present awards to the region’s best athletes. The evening kicks off at 6.30 pm at Annesbrooke Community Church, tickets available from Sport Tasman (ph. 03 546 7910).
We may be in for a scorcher with a high of 21 degrees and south-westerlies developing.
- Climate Change Parade and Picnic: the parade and picnic will start at 10 am from Tahunanui Beach and move along Rocks Road into Nelson City, ending at Anzac Park with music, speakers, stalls and activities. The public are invited to march, bring a picnic, enjoy the music, find out what is happening in the Nelson region and write messages to those that have the power to create change.
- Hard Hat tours: tours around the Nelson Schoolof Music are on all weekend from 10 am – 4 pm. Entry is $10 or $20 for a family, proceeds go towards the new building upgrade.
- Hospice House: the ‘House for Hospice’ reported on in this week’s paper is up for sale with an open day from 10 am – 3 pm. Head along to 58 Sanctuary Drive, Marsden Park Subdivision, to see Douglas Building Contractors’ handiwork.
- Muritai Market: for a free, family-friendly event, head to Burrell Park, Muritai Street between 10 am and 4 pm.
- Monster Fishing Competition: settle who can catch the biggest fish for once and for all. This all day competition runs out of Mapua, Moutere and Motueka with a weigh in at the Motueka Marina from 1pm and a prize giving at the Post Office Hotel from 7pm. See the It’s On website for information on entry fees and forms
The sun will be out in force with light wind and a high of 20 degrees.
- Richmond Santa Parade: for the chance to see Santa and score some freebies, head down to Sundial square and Croucher Street, Richmond. The annual Santa Parade runs from 12 noon until 2 pm but Santa will be at Sundial Square around 1 pm.
- Run Mahana: fancy a run around the rolling Moutere Hills? All courses begin at Mahana Estates with both 5km and 10km options are available for walkers and runners. For more information phone (03) 545 83655.
- Sport Tasman Backyard Games: Decks Reserve, on Wallace Street Motueka will be full of families and activities, with frisbee, kite flying, swing ball, tick tac toe. The free family fun runs from 10 am – 1 pm.
- Mo Party: think you’ve got a mo that competes with Magnum PI? Founders Hertage Park are hosting a Mo party from 4.30 pm – 8 pm to conclude Movember. There’ll be awards, beer and live music from ImMOgrants. Entry is $5 with proceeds going towards the Nelson Tasman Hospice.
- Parent & Child Expo: Head over to Founder’s Heritage Park from 10 am – 4 pm for everything from pregnancy and birth, baby to child, parenting, services and supports.The expo is gold coin entry, with under 15’s free.
For more information or events, head to the It’s On website.