The streets around Upper Collingwood St are home to a number of historic Nelson houses. It is often referred to as Nelson’s Dress Circle.
The street is named after Cuthbert Collingwood, later Lord Collingwood, who was an Admiral and friend of Lord Nelson.
A flood in 1954 damaged the Collingwood Street bridge which had stood since 1877. It was later replaced.
Brougham St, running perpendicular near the top of Collingwood St was most likely named after a barque sailing ship which arrived in Nelson in March 1842 carrying immigrants.
An early map of Nelson shows plans for army barracks at one end of Brougham St and a house of correction at the other.