Grave fears for Dutch tourist

0
733

The four-day search for 26 year old Dutch tourist Ken Boogers has failed to find any trace of him.

The Navy vessel HMRNZ Hawea joined Thursday’s search, covering the coastal area from Farewell Spit to south west of Wharariki Beach. Four ground search teams have also been in the field all day.

The New Zealand Fire Service Command Vehicle has been stationed at the search base to provide communications services.

Search coordinator Sergeant Michael Fitzsimons said on Thursday that Police now held grave fears for Mr Boogers’ welfare.

“In the event that he has spent the last five nights in the open survivability is diminishing.”

He said no information had come to light to suggest Mr Boogers had left the area and there had been no confirmed sightings of him since midday on Saturday.

“Over the last four days we have completed extensive searches of the area of interest with a large team of search and rescue personnel, air scenting dogs and helicopters,” Sergeant Fitzsimons said.

He said the search was now under independent review to assess whether there were any further options left to cover. The results of that review will direct any decision for further searching.

Meanwhile Mr Boogers’ parents have arrived in New Zealand and are being assisted by Police and Victim Support.